From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:21:00 -0700
I listened to a Koch-Schwann disc with Bernard Hermanns Sinfonietta for
String Orchestra.  I didn't know that the music to "Psycho" was the source
for the material of this piece.  The subdued dissonant counterpoint that
dominates the films latter half is the sinfoniettas legacy, and to times in
direct quotations.  Seemingly the atonal piece is a tribute to characterize
Normans emotional milieu.  The recording is very powerful and authorative
convincing.  I recommend the Koch CD with catalogue number 3-7152-2 H1.
Isaiah Jackson conducts the Berliner Sinfoniker in this ambitious and
heartfelt performance.  I was glad to see that the Hermann sinfonietta
was coupled with that of Franz Waxmann.

Mats Norrman