From:
Henny van der Groep <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:29:30 +0200
Miguel Muelle wrote:

>What an amazing symphony!  (I think I prefer this last version to the
>others.)
>
>My question, apart from wanting to hear other listers' favorite versions,
>is the following: Is there a "program" to this piece? It sure sounds like
>there must be -- almost like movie music.  I know it has to do with the
>regime, etc., but can anyone tell me or direct me to a more detailed
>description of what's going on?

Like you I've heard his Symphony 3x this week.  1x with Gergiev and "Het
Rotterdams Philharmonisch", 1x life at the Proms with Dutoit and the last
time a rehearsal by K. Sanderling, who knew Shostakovich in private.  I've
several performances and still don't know exactly which I like the best:
Mavrinsky, Kondrashin or lately Gergiev.  There are many words written
about the 5th.

Sanderling informed the orchestra during a rehearsal.  So they knew how to
play the second movement.  "It's a pravitsjellsvennie konserty, a concert
for the party boss".  In Stalin's days Balaksjejev was the man with the
scissor.  The party concerto had to be one hour and not a minute longer.
The concert should contain certain works like: a gypsy ensemble, a man
choir "Don Kosakken", an orchestra, and a ballet.  Shostakovich made a
parody about the party concerto's for Stalin, which Sanderling mentioned
a political provocation.

He also describes his feeling after listening to the 5th those days.  They
were even afraid they would be arrested after listening the 5th because it
was so utterly clear how Shostakovich referred to the idiotic Party rules
and Stalin.

Henny