From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:31:30 +0100
Dear All,

I am ready to throw myself out the window.

Where, oh where, is a half decent Bruckner 6????

Klemperer seems to confuse the pulse of the first 2 movements - shouldn't
they be the other way around?

Jochum pulls about the tempos, especially in the final movement.

Furtwangler and the BPO.  Missing 1st movement.  The brass tends to blast
through the strings somewhat (I wonder what a period band would make of
this?) The finale is particularly impressive kept on an integrated, steady
headlong pulse.

Eischenbach / Houston SO's latest recording is risable.  Flat sound and,
again, pulling about the tempos in all directions.  The conducting is just
Yuk.

Tintner comes the closest.  Beautifully modulated tempos.  Although the
crescendo in the middle of the first movement does sag somewhat.  Tintner
realises that the music has logic and shape if you keep the basic pulse
between themes.  Something that trips up Blomsedt and Eichenbach almost
immediately.  Grand, gentle arches of sound in the 2nd movement.  Exciting
finale.  Beautifully spacious and detailed sound.  BUT the editing and
production is some of the worst I have heard on a modern classical CD. I
honestly suspect they threw away the good takes and kept the bad ones.
Listen to the brass clash on the second to last note of the 1st movement
(Ouch) or the lack of intonation in the 3rd.  The NZSO is a fine orchestra
- given too little rehersal time? How Naxos let this one out is beyond
belief.

I have a dream that Philippe Herreweghe and his period band will turn their
hand to this great work one day.

Regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK