From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:10:28 +0100
Jeffrey Hall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>When was this new remastered Furtwangler Tristan released? Did this set
>of remasterings include Giulini's Don Giovanni?

I'm afraid the new EMI Recordings of the Centruy does not include the
Giulini Don.  However, there is the Muti Aida (still on 3 CDs for some
reason) which really is a classic.

Whilst I am pleased the Furtwangler Tristan is reissued at mid-price I
am more anxious to put hear what was recorded on the 1947 Berlin Tristan.
I have only been able to find (magnificent) excerpts.  Furtwangler's
conducting is far finer than in the studio and the orchestra is more firey
and realistically recorded (if a little distant).  Schluter is no Flagstad
but she has great character and conviction.  Sathaus is again a stunning
Tristan.  My favourite Trsiatn now.

And when, when, when is EMI going to remaster its 1954 Furtwangler
Die Walkure? This is long overdue for remastering (last done in 1988?).
Apparantly the remastered Tristan made more of the orchestral sound and
that would be a definate plus in the Walkure recording.

Kind regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK