From:
Youn Ling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:36:22 -0400
Thanks very much for your reply.  It's so happy to meet a graduate from HKU
on the net.

How to describe my voice? That's a good question.  I think my voice is
lyrical tending dramatic.  It's more like the voice of Tebaldi and Te
Kanawa rather than pure lyric soprano like Arleen Auger or Margaret Price.
(Of course I won't be able to achive that class).  That's why I like
singing opera and oratorio rather than lieder.  It doesn't mean that I
don't like lieder.  Quite the opposite, I like it very much.  Just because
I am not that kind of voice.  I have heard Kanawa singing Mendelssohn's Auf
Flugeln des Gesanges.  Her interpretation just "destroys"the song.  But
when I listen to Margaret Price's version, it's the voice from heaven.
That's why I choose to sing pieces that are a bit "heavy".  Mahler's and
Elgar's song cycles are my favourite.

I haven't tried Greig or Sebelius.  I think I should.  As there're few
shops selling scores in Hong Kong, I ought to order from online shops or
fly to some other places to buy scores.  My next stop is Taiwan.  That's
why I want to have a list of songs for reference.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks and regards,
Youn