From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 22:16:49 +0100
Hello!  What a wonderful prospect you have ahead of you - so many exciting
discoveries!  For a soprano there is so much to choose from.  How would you
describe your voice? What sort of songs do you feel most comfortable in?
What have you enjoyed singing in the past? What sort of music makes you
react emotionally? Singing music that you love is often the key to singing
it well.

You can't possibly go wrong with Schubert - there's such a range that
there's plenty to suit anyone.  For a soprano Hugo Wolf is a gift from God
- some of his finest songs are set for soprano. They are a challenge, not
at all easy to sing although they seem simple on the surface.  They also
require a great deal of subtlety and sensitivity.  Wolf doesn't appeal to
everyone so I guess you could consider him as being "overlooked by the
public".  Certainly he doesn't get the appreciation he deserves.  He's
unique - his songs are like intense, miniature operas full of action but on
a tight, perfectly formed scale.  Personally I don't think we've yet heard
the definitive Wolf interpreter though there have been many good ones.
Lots of potential there for a singer to make an impact.

On a lighter mood, don't overlook Scandinavian composers like Grieg and
Sibelius.  Both of them wrote lyrical pieces for soprano. Grieg in
particular has a delicacy and freshness that might suit your voice.

You probably know Michael Lee's website

   http://home.netvigator.com/~leeji/guide/

which has lots of useful information about the Hong Kong serious music
scene.  There's also a HK based newsgroup:

You're always welcome to contact me if there's anything else I can help you
with.  Happy listening,

Anne
HKU graduate a million years ago