From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:29:35 +1100
Steve Schwartz responding to Mohammad Iqbal:

>>2. One of the pieces called 'Ojos Coriollos'. What does this name
>>mean?
>
>"Ojos Criollos" means "Creole Eyes" (I think).

It does.  My CD also has the French title, Les Yeux Creoles.  Many of
the other pieces have French versions of the English titles, or French
subtitles.  I'm not sure which Gottschalk used.

I recommend a 2-CD set on Vanguard 08 9144 72.  One CD contains music for
solo piano.  The other contains music for piano four hands, The Union for
two pianos, the Grand Tarantelle for piano and orchestra, and A Night in
the Tropics, these latter pieces with the Utah Symphony and Maurice
Abravanel.

A Vox Box (CDX 5009) contains mostly the same works as above, the second
symphony (A Montevideo), some works for piano and orchestra, and the little
chamber opera, Cuban Country Scenes.  The orchestral playing on this set
is adequate, but the Vanguard is better.  However, the Vox gives you more
music.  Pianist Eugene List features on both sets.  Another Vox Box CD3X
3033, which I've not heard, has Alan Mandel playing forty works for solo
piano.

There is also a Naxos Gottschalk CD (8.559036) containing A Night in the
Tropics, the Grand Tarantelle and orchestrations of some of the piano
pieces.  A single hearing of this was enough for me.  I thought the
orchestrations in particular were misguided - this is one of Naxos's
turkeys.

Richard Pennycuick