From:
Wilson Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:48:59 -0200
What happens when you are bold enough to buy a record without knowing
anything previously about label, orchestra, conductor, etc? It's seems like
a blind date...  That's exactly what happened to me the other day when I've
decided to buy a recording of Mahler's Das Lied von Der Erde.  The problem
is that the site of the mail order shop where the CD was being offered
didn't mention anything about it, only its cover and, of course, composer's
name and work.  The bite was the price: approximately US$ 14,30, including
shipping and taxes.

Well, I bought it, and when I got it, it was such a surprise. See why:

Label: Disky (unknown to me).
Orchestra: Philharmonia Orchestra.
Conductor: Paul Kletzki.
Tenor: Murray Dickie.
Baritone: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

The recording is from EMI archives, and after my first listening, I'm
impressed.  Of course it's not in the same league as Walter's DECCA, or
Klemperer's EMI, or Horenstein's, or Leppard's BBC, or Giulini's DG, but...
at least it seemed to me that DFD sung better to Kletzi than to Bernstein.
Anyway, I'd like to hear opinons of another passionate Mahlerites of this
list about this so - how should I say? - a discarded recording?

Regards,
Wilson Pereira
Natal, Brazil.