Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:09:00 -0500
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Honegger's symphonies get recorded every now and then.  As far as I'm
>concerned, the best interpreters are Ansermet (Symphonies 2, 3, and 4),
>Karajan (Symphonies 2 and 3), and Baudo (Symphonies 1-5).

Having missed the first of this thread...I will add my two cents.

One of the first scores I ever bought was Honegger's 4th Symphony.  I have
acquired many over the years.  For me Ansermet is at his best on the 2nd.
Baudo is ok.  Karajan is out of his element.  Dutoit misses the mark.
Palliard on No.2, so so.  Composer on No.3 is worth a listen.  Orchestra
does not play well, but it is a brutal performance.  Solomon on No.2, ok.
Denzler on No.3 (don't remember well enough to comment) Markevitch on No.5
is wonderful.  Melles on No.3, so so.  Stoschek on No.3, not bad.  Plasson,
best commerically available set (I haven't heard the one Steve reviewed).

As for my favorite...Munch.  His 1954 broadcast of No.1 is the most
exciting I have ever heard.  His Third with the BSO, available on Praga is
full of incredible power.  The 2nd, released on a Victor LP is brilliant
and his 5th (also on Victor) is, to my ears, profound.  There are other
Munch performances available, mostly with French orchestras, but his BSO
readings are for me, the best.  I have two broadcasts of the 4th, one from
the early 50s and another from the 60s.  Both are different but both are
wonderful.

Oops, looks like I added more that just two cents.

Karl