Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:26:54 +0200
From:
Didrik Schiele <[log in to unmask]>
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]> replies:

>Didrik Schiele wrote:
>
>>I don't understand the point in listening to a composer who nobody else
>>takes interest in
>
>This rather narrowminded statement cries for an answer.  The point is,
>that there are many "unlistened to" composers, who nevertheless wrote
>good music.  A good example is a composer, already mentioned in this list:
>Geirr Tveitt.  In the early 70ties nobody ever listened to Scharwenka or
>Alkan., both of which are now abundantly recorded on CD. The other day
>I borrowed a CD from the library with music (among which a charming
>pianoconcerto) by the Swedish composer Ruben Liljefors, living at the turn
>of the 19th century.  I found it often worthwhile to explore the unexplored
>byways of musical history, and ever so often I discovered real gems.  One
>of them is E.G.Uuno Klami.

And this rather narrowminded reply should not deserve an answer.  I think
Uuno Klamis best work is the Violin-Concerto, although it isn't so often
played as the Sea Pictures or "Savonlinna" (Sveaborguvertyr).  It intrigued
me as I noticed that the ecksaetze has a writing that is a very difficult
playing for the violin, meanwhile the slow movement is cantile and "easy"
in the sence there are not many notes.  Still that movement is very
demanding as it requires one can move the bow in a more equalized speed
and dynamic, which is in this form very difficult to do with a violin.
I reagrd this as an exception in Klami as he was much better in writing
pompous movements then stillen such.

Geirr Tveitt is not nearly as interesting to listen to, at least to me,
as it gave me new ideas about Norwegian folk music, with the use of the
phrygian mode.  I noticed Naxos came out with a set of suites on
"folketonar" (=folk tunes).

But even if Ruben Liljefors must be considered a better painter than he was
a composer, I want to kindly and courtesly remind Mr.Wisse about that there
is also a Beethoven to listen to.

Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> replies to me:

>Not sure what this has to do with your point on this, but yes, I think
>anyone who assumes a great or minor composer is a nice person owning to
>their achievements, is deluded.

So you mean there are hopes still for Didrik Scheele the composer?:-)

Didrik Schiele