From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 12:05:38 -0400
Dear All, responding to this note:

Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:31:03 -0700
From: Venus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Necrotizing enterocolitis
Hi all,
I have a vent and a question. First the vent:
A dear friend of mine gave birth to 34 1/2 twins a week ago. As they needed
oxygen, she was unable to breastfeed, but immediately pumped colostrum for
them. However, despite the fact she had written in her birth plan that they
were to have no formula, she walked into NICU, and found them pouring it
into an NG tube. They hadn't even ASKED her, first!!!

 >This is a huge problem in my opinion. ON what basis did they feel that
this was safe or appropriate?

She went ballistic, but they scolded her into complying, by saying that her
colostrum wasn't sufficient, and what if her milk didn't come in (as if --
she's already nursed two children  past the age of two), and isn't this
preferable to having an IV?
So -- surprise, surprise -- one of the twins got necrorotizing
enterocolitis, and now has an IV anyway (which has been put in 4 times),
and is not going to have anything by mouth for 10 days.

<This might be examined as the basis of malpractice.

She's absolutely livid, since she's convinced the formula is what caused
the NE, but she doesn't want to alienate the only neonatologist in town
(she's in a mid-sized town in the interior of BC) by confronting him.

<In my opinion, again, women are too concerned with "alienating" and not
enough concerned with insisting on evidence based SAFE practice. I would
not be concerned about alienation. I would be consulting my
attorney.  Maybe alienation is the beginning of safe practice for this
hospital.

Now the question: Can an infant with NE be given breastmilk or colostrum?

AND WHY NOT?????

I think the mother should ask for a statement/list of evidence-based
references proving that formula is safer. She won't get it. They don't have
it.

Come on folks. If the babies were bf to begin with, the chances of NEC and
the accompanying HUGE medical problems/expenses would probably not be a
happening thing.

This is ridiculous.

Kathleen

If so, she needs a statement to that effect she can show to the
neonatologist as soon as possible. I'd appreciate it if you could mail me
directly, as I'm still NOMAIL

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
"Be impeccable with your word.