From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:53:49 -0400
Peter Dillon wrote: "... dusting the frames and /or bees with a set amount
of "powder" does
not ensure that the bees have consumed a set dose of antibiotic either!"

Well, I can't totally disagree with this statement, but the dosage delivered
to the boxes (as opposed to the bees) is a known variable, and rarely is
that known dose left unconsumed by the bees.  The widely fluctuating
variable in the equation is the population of bees within the hive.  And
that is one of the problems commonly acknowledged in the whole TM treatment
treadmill.  The instructions are real specific regarding the proportions of
TM and confectioners sugar to mix and the amount to deliver per hive, per
treatment at specific intervals.  What is missing is any consideration for
size of the hive (One deep or two?  Or does the beekeeper use a 3 Illinois
configuration?  Are we talking a populous hive or a dink?  Spring or Fall?).
The label instructions are a one size fits all, and obviously bees don't
adhere to standards.

My point is that dusting delivers a more precise dosage in a more controlled
time span, more closely approximating prescribed guidelines when using
antibiotics.  It is a far more controllable delivery method than grease
patties, which more times than not (in my experience) deliver a less than
prescribed dose of antibiotic over a longer than prescribed period of time.
I am not saying grease patties caused TM resistant bacteria, I do not
believe that to be the case.  I've already weighed in that I think it was
Allen Dick's alien buddies that caused the whole problem.  But I reiterate
that prolonged exposure to sub lethal doses of antibiotics is a recognized
mechanism in the advent of resistant bacterial.  And I do not challenge
Allen's assertion that no research has been done to link TM resistant
bacteria to grease patties.

Aaron Morris - thinking packages tomorrow!

My point is that dusting
If it does, then I have missed something and am very willing to be told
what it is!
Regards
Peter