From:
Anne Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 09:54:31 -0400
This is what I sent to Ann, the NICU nurse who unsubscribed:

Dear Ann,

Re: your unsubscribing to Lactnet.  Mostly a lurker, I've been reading
Lactnet for over three years.  The breastfeeding knowledge I've gained is
unavailable anywhere else...and its archives are phenomenal for anyone who
is helping mothers breastfeed.  (You might want to bookmark the archives for
future reference...even if you stay away from the list.)

Never a zealot, I'm not even a medical professional.  I'm a volunteer.  But
the brilliant minds I've been exposed to by lurking on Lactnet not only have
informed me, they have made me cry (I think of Kathy Dettwyler's breast
cancer), and they have made me laugh (Dr. Gordon's reference about
neonatologists was taken by me to be a tongue-in-cheek comment following
some members' justifiable frustrations with *some* physicians.  I have heard
him in person; he's a very funny man.) Certainly, the discussion that
followed should have comforted those who took insult at such an outrageous
statement.

If you haven't read Lactnet for very long, I would encourage you to give it
a longer trial and not judge it on the basis of a few weeks' reading.  With
2000 or so subscribers, there are bound to be occasional hurt feelings and
people posting in the heat of the moment.

You wrote, "I will look elsewhere for assistance and knowledge."  Where?
There is now some great information in print...but, many of the authors are
on Lactnet!... and there is a time lag between research and publication.
Lactnet professionals save me the enormous time it would take to personally
search for the recent research.   I don't believe you can find a more
up-to-date source, one that will give you what you need for evidence-based
practice.

Anne Cook