From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:25:30 EDT
Hi Lori,
Thanks for your reply to my question.
you write;
 >>I think this method of breastfeeding
can lead to imbalance -- or baby being fussy -- or other various problems
whatever you want to call it.  I don't think that the mother would
necessarily have oversupply to have this cause difficulties for her baby.  I
even wonder if always trying to nurse both sides could contribute to
oversupply for some mothers.<<
I'm totally lost here. How could this method of feeding lead to an imbalance?
It might potentiate an "imbalance" if the Mom already has an oversupply but
an undersupply or even an adequate supply would neccessitate it. If the Mom
has only enough milk (or thereabouts) to feed her baby, which is what happens
to most of us naturally over the first month or so, she needs to nurse on
both sides-correct?

>>the current thinking is that
baby knows when he/she's had enough -- let him/her nurse until done on the
first side -- then if he/she wants more it's fine to offer the other side.<<
Just out of curiosity (since I hear this often), what do you mean by done on
the first side?
Do you mean until the point in time when Mom determines its time to burp the
baby? Or do you mean until the babe appears to be done entirely?
 I usually tell Moms to nurse that first "side" til the babe is taking longer
pauses and requires more prompting to maintain a rhythm. Take off and burp,
place back on first side (if supply is abundant eg. first few days after milk
"comes in", or if oversupply persists) OR on second side if first feels
"drained". I also tell parents to try for the third side or "dessert" (they
smile here ;)  ) by letting him nurse on second "side" til he appears totally
satiated (falls off or "milk drunk"), change him, redress, activity usually
wakes him for one last try!
I find that a baby who is WELL ESTABLISHED at breastfeeding should be relied
upon to determine when "he has had enough" but making this statement to a 2-3
day pp Mom, going home before her milk has come in, is a nightmare waiting to
happen. For example, I provided a VNA visit, 2 days ago, to a Mom/baby 5th
day pp, about 24 hrs after D/C and about the same for post "milk coming
 in" . Baby had a bili =17, checked that am in the pedi office. With "assist"
at the breast, babe had a great feeding but what was most telling were Moms
comments to me after the feed. Not surprising to me, this feeding could in
"no way compare to anything he had ever done prior", "he actually ate and now
I know what it looks like!" she said. Now I'm sure that he HAD actually fed
at the breast p/t my consult, in fact his weight loss wasn't bad, but clearly
his bili , his physical exam and Mom's comments indicated that he wasn't
taking enough.