From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:36:26 -0700
I have a client who is successfully breastfeeding a baby at 2 months of age. She came in today bewildered, because just 2 days ago she was pumping an incredible 8 ounces at a time with a Lactina, and now she has had a sudden, dramatic lowering of her milk supply. Her breasts have become much softer, and she is able to only express 2 ounces at a time.

This lower supply was preceded by a weird event. She had pumped her regular 8 ounces, refrigerated it for 8 hours, and noticed that her milk was "spoiled". She told me that there were  huge clumps in the milk which wouldn't break down when heated, but no bad smell (lipase??). Ever since her milk appeared this way, her supply has gone South. Other factors include her infant's sudden breast refusal/fussines, and tenderness from the axilla to the nipple on both breasts. She does not feel ill or have any other mastitis symptoms. No thrush evident in baby's mouth.

Any idea on what could be going on here? This is a young teen mom who is trying very hard to do this! I have told her how to power pump and use Fenugreek to boost her supply.

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC