From:
William Boletta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 19:52:16 -0700
I'm afraid I must disagree with Ms.  Mikulska about the correct German
pronunciation of the two German composers' names she mentions.

The general rule for all German words is that the main stress is on the
first syllable.  There are many exceptions to this, of course (zurueck,
damit, vorauf are all accented on the second syllable, for instance), but
in the case of these two composers' names, the rule prevails, and the main
stress is most definitely on the FIRST syllable:  BUX-tuh-who-duh and
PACH-ul-bell.  The *secondary* stress is on the third syllable of the
respective names.

The vowel in the tuh, du, and uh sounds in my semi-phonetic renderings is
the "schwa" sound, which is also the most common sound in spoken English.
All unstressed vowels in English become an uh-sound.  If you say "to" or
"for" in rapid speech, the o-sound in both words becomes this uh-sound.

This schwa sound is also extremely common in German.  Many adjectives,
verbs, and plurals end in an "e" which is pronounced as schwa.
Nonetheless, many people who think German is like French (including a
surprising number of radio announcers, who should know better) often
mispronounce these e-sounds, rendering Schubert as ShuBAIR, which sounds
ridiculous since the correct German pronunciation rhymes with Hubert
Humphrey's first name.

Composers names can be notoriously problematical, even in languages as
common as German and French.  The following book answers lots of questions
and can settle many postprandial arguments:

The Well-Tempered Announcer:  A Pronunciation Guide to Classical Music,
Robert A.  Fradkin.  Indiana University Press.  1996.  ISBN 025321064X

Finally, by way of recherche tourist attractions, Buxtehude is actually
also a city in northern Germany (pop circa 37,000).  They offer a very
colorful set of web pages, but no specific comments on how they pronounce
the name of their city:

   http://www.meinestadt.de/Buxtehude

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Bill Boletta