From:
Brad Leissa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:53:40 -0500
William Hong wrote:

>Brad Leissa wrote:
>
>>In the past the MCML has discussed Tafelmusik's (& Bruno Weil's) Haydn
>>sacred works recording project for Sony.  ...  It appears that the Haydn
>>sacred works series continues, but in limited distribution in Germany. ...
>
>Please remind us Brad, how is the series overall?  Definitely worth even
>a cybertrek to Germany to get a copy of the latest release?

I'm familiar with (having listened to portions of) five different Haydn
sacred works recording projects.  There are, of course, other projects, but
I haven't examined them.

(1) Bruno Weil, Tafelmusik & Tolzerknabenchor (Sony/Vivarte)

(2) Simon Preston, The Academy of Ancient Music, The Choir of Christ Church
Cathedral, Oxford (L'Oiseau-Lyre)

(3) Richard Hickox, Collegium Musicum 90 -- orchestra & choir
(Chandos/Chaconne)

(4) Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicum Wien, Arnold Schoenberg Choir
(Teldec/Das Alte Werk)

(5) Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert & Choir (DG/Archiv Produktion)

Series (2) and (5) are incomplete and were discontinued.  These recordings
are no longer readily available --unless as budget re-releases.

Series (1) is up to 5 discs (excluding The Creation).  I don't know if more
discs are planned.  (For more on the on-going (?) German recording series,
visit http://www.sonyclassical.de/sonyclassical/weil_haydn_news.html

Series (3) is up to 6 discs with 3 more planned (following a small hiatus)

Series (4) continues in piecemeal fashion.

Series (1) and (2) are similar in that all-males choirs (with trebles) are
used.

All five series are commendable.  (Of course, Papa Haydn must take the
major credit for this consistent success!) For me, personally, the best
soloists are found with series (1; esp.  Ann Monoyios and Harry van der
Kamp), (3; esp.  Susan Gritton and Mark Padmore), and (5).

If I was starting out today to explore Haydn's sacred works, I would focus
on series (1) and (3).  The presence of either an all-male choir (with
trebles) or a mixed adult choir is equally enjoyable and thus these two
series are complementary.

Brad Leissa, M.D.
http://www.intr.net/bleissa