From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:39:02 -0700
From Diane Herforth in Tacoma WA, the IBCLC who shared our office for 5
years, I learned about the suck, suck swallow to tell if a baby was
actually getting milk.  In fact, I realized after that description what
the sound was when my firstborn swallowed.  It sounded almost like fluid
hitting the bottom of a bucket, it was so loud when she was furiously
keeping up with the flow.

But I also realized looking back that with my girls, I knew they had had
enough when they fell asleep with the palms of their hands open and
relaxed.  Even my husband cued into this sign early on.  If they fell
asleep with clenched fists or closed hands, they really hadn't had
enough to "put them out" and I was expecting to feed again fairly
soon--it was just a snack.
Judy Ritchie