From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 08:52:54 EDT
I have a request for a mom of 4.5 mos old whose Ped wants baby on fluoride,
vit D and iron supplements and says cereal should be iron fortified.  I know
all the reasons vit D is unnecessary, and I think he's rushing need for iron
and fluoride (if there truly is one in exclusively breastfed baby) but would
like anyone's references or professional experience with handling this with
HCP.  I will do an archive search but just thought I'd ask the list in the
meantime.  I have lactation texts available but references and what you tell
moms would be appreciated.  She'd like something to share with Ped, too.
I've informed her of risks of altering intestinal fluora with foods and
supplements (vits) too early.

Appreciate input and apologize in advance for not doing archive search first
but short on time.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY