HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:35:01 +0000
I've always felt that mean ceramic dates were one of the more perversely
silly methods of quantification to have grown out of the New
Archaeology.  Surely it only tells you what combining a decent knowledge
of stratigraphy and ceramic manufacture dates would let you know anyway?

I don't even think it's that useful in identifying time lag since time
lag is essentially an ever-present issue in assemblage deposition, and
should therefore always be taken into account.

Finally, mean ceramic dates are statistically flawed:  They are not mean
dates, but rather means of the median dates.  They assume a standard
bell curve for ceramics manufacture, whereas even the most basic
'battleship curve' for material culture proves that a standard bell
curve is the last thing you should expect in archaeology - therefore the
median date of manufacture (used to calculate MCDs) is _not_ the mean
date of manufacture.

Hmmm.  Sorry.  Obviously in a cranky mood today.
Apologies if I've offended anyone.

Alasdair Brooks

--
Dr. Alasdair Brooks