HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:49:58 -0400
Rusty Nails,

<< Some of the nails and other pieces have rusted together into massive balls
and some of the nails are so badly rusted they are not diagnostic at all. The
Senior Archaeologist wants me to find a way to remove the rust, but I'm
concerned that many of these nails, etc are nothing but rust now. And I'm
also concerned about conservation, obviously.  What do ya'll think? </DIV> >>

Your best advice is to consult with a Conservator who works with
archaeologtists. I recommend the National Park Service for starters. One of
the most common problems with saturated metal is salt, which expands when out
of the moist environmental and disintegrates metal. Desalinization creates
toxic by-products that need to be captured and disposed of following
Hazardous Waste procedures. Once desalinized, the conservator can advise you
on protective coatings. If anyone tries to suggest simple archy-solutions, I
advise against it.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.