From:
Mark Knezevic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:48:19 +0800
As an aside, some time last year I read in the Economist that Korea had the
largest and fastest growing classical 'sector' in the world, selling more
classical albums etc than any other country.  I hope I read right -- it's
been a while.  Anyone willing to verify this for me, and perhaps explain
why this is so; why the US, for its huge population, seems less interested
in classical than a nation with far fewer people?

Perhaps the inlet in the Economist, as it wasn't a full-length or even
half-length article, was speaking of proportions instead of totalities.  In
any case, does the classical music concert scene in Korea reflect the sales
of classical cds of which the Economist, if not my imagination, speaks?

-Mark A Knezevic