From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:16:57 -0400
Karl Miller writes:

>I believe that quite a few years ago laws changed and a vendor could not
>deduct inventory at tax time.

I recall reading something about this somewhere -- the tax treatment on
inventory changed such that it became advantageous to quickly write off
unsold stock.  The majors responded by taking releases off the market
before we even found out about them, because they "weren't selling in
volume".

The only thing that will fix this problem (short of changing the tax laws,
which seems unlikely) is "publishing on demand", for which the technology
seems almost ready.

len.