From:
Gerald F Pillay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:06:38 +0800
Tim Horwood wrote:

>My old copy of the Guiness Book of Records lists the Serenade as the String
>Quartet Op 3 No 5 in F and confirms that Hofstetter may have written the Op
>3 set.  Thumbing further through the book I found that Haydn in 1794 wrote
>an opera called Windsor Castle.  May be the Serenade was part of that.
>Incidentally I live about 5 miles from Windsor Castle so this thread is
>of more than passing interest.

Thank you, Tim Horwood.  The glades around Windsor Castle are
inspirational.

The Windsor Castle opera could well be the answer.  Quick Search revealed
that its Overture has been recorded by Roy Goodman with the Hanover Band
(Hyperion CDA 66528), along with the Symphonies 101-2.

One can even listen to it from the Indiana University Cook Music Library -
if one can get to one of their computers.

   http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/var/access?ADC1001

And now to check out the work.  If there is anything like a Serenade to be
found, I shall be sure to let you know.

Again, Thanks to all for responding.

Gerald F. Pillay