From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:22:40 -0700
Glenn Miller ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>It's a bit out of date (and I'm not sure I'd rate the Harnoncourt set as
>>highly today), but I do discuss these issues in my Beethoven symphony
>>survey: http://turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca:8080/Beethoven
>
>Since you put it that way(Harnoncourt that is) what would be the cycle that
>bump it down a notch.  I never cared much for it but always look for the
>opportunity to buy a cycle since I never have but instead buy single issues
>of interest.  I know your interest in Bru'uggen but Harnoncourt uses modern
>instruments.

Except for the trumpets IIRC.

But I'm interested in whomever...:-)

It's not necessarily that another cycle has "bumped down" Harnoncourt,
simply that repeated listening over the years (it's now, what? 9 years
old) haven't borne out 100% of my initial enthusiasm.  This happens.

OTOH I have been impressed by recent cycles by Zinman (although he may be
too lightweight for some - he is very quick on the whole - and his 9th I
find rather weak), Maag and (most of all) Gielen.  All modern instruments.

Deryk Barker