From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:53:31 -0500
Peter Wisse wrote:

>I became so used to that wrong chord, that when I later heard the concerto
>in the concerthall, I thought, that the pianist was playing the wrong
>notes.  It is the same, when you have a record with a click in it, you come
>to expect the click in a live performance, and you are surprised, when the
>orchestra doesn't play the click.  I suppose more music lovers have the
>same experience.

That is so true, and it also holds for changes in technology.  To this day,
a phantom impulse remains that makes me want to "turn the LP over" whenever
I reach a certain passage in CD performances of Strauss's "Also sprach
Zarathustra" and Beethoven's "Eroica." I realize that this is because I
listened so often to my vinyl recordings of Karajan/Vienna and
Leinsdorf/Boston, respectively!

Richard Veit