From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:07:49 -0400
Johann Gottfried Walther (1684-1748) was a distant relative of Bach and one
of the members of Bach's musical circle.  Like Bach, Walther composed organ
transcriptions of baroque concertos and original works for solo organ; he
wrote over 200 movements of organ chorales.

For its 'Organ Encyclopedia' series, Naxos released two volumes of Walther
organ works - 8.554316 & 4317.  The performer on both volumes is Craig
Cramer who has been on the faculty of the University of Notre Dame, Indiana
since 1981.  Mr. Cramer has degrees from Westminster Choir College and the
Eastman School of Music.  He has given organ recitals throughout the United
States, Canada, and Europe.  Cramer has also performed the complete organ
works of Bach in the state of Indiana covering eighteen different recitals.

Between the two volumes, Cramer provides 13 transcriptions of baroque
concertos and 10 chorales and partitas.  For the transcriptions, the
original composers range in reputation from Vivaldi, Telemann, and Torelli
to obscure composers such as Manzia and Gregori.

Given the many transcriptions in the two volumes, comparison with Bach
transcriptions is not out of place.  As might be expected, Walther's
transcriptions do not compare well with Bach's.  They are exuberant and
well crafted but remind me strongly of the usual baroque fare one finds on
the radio.  The transcription of a Telemann concerto in C minor is the most
enjoyable one, and I largely attribute that to Telemann.

Concerning Walther's original organ works on the two volumes, there are
two of them which stand out from the rest: In dich hab ich gehoffet,
Herr LV 97, and Lobe den Herren, den machtigen Konig der Ehren, LV 101.
The former is a lovely and poignant chorale, the latter a rousing and
ceremonial tribute.  The remaining chorales are less inspiring.  The
longest original work on the two recordings is the Partita 'Jesu meine
Freude' LV 2 which clocks in at over thirteen minutes.  Essentially a basic
theme with many short variations applied, the work is unfortunately a good
example of Walther's shortcomings.  Most of the variations reveal little
difference among them or from the basic theme with the greatest differences
being based on the diversity provided by the organ, not the music.

The performances of Craig Cramer are certainly acceptable, but I kept
thinking as I listened to the outer movements of the transcriptions that
Cramer could have been more exuberant and exciting.  The outer movements
have little to savor and would benefit from a higher energy level.

Don's Conclusions: The Walther discs are primarily for light
entertainment.  If you intend to purchase, I suggest starting with Volume
I which has the two excellent chorales I mention above as well as the
Telemann transcription.  Overall, I feel that Walther is a low priority
for baroque and organ enthusiasts.

Don Satz