From:
Jim Stokes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:41:18 -0500
First of all, hello everyone!   I'm a former classical music announcer,
having worked at two commercial classical music stations in this Minneapolis
& St. Paul, Minnesota, area.   Although both commercial classic stations
folded, non-commercial classical music radio is thriving here!   We have
KSJN, St. Paul, the flagship station of Minnesota Public Radio, which is
mainly classical -- perhaps 80 percent; and WCAL, Northfield, which is a
combination of classics and public affairs.   In the main, they program
classical music.

Thus, with the heavy concentration of classical music radio in a greater
Twin Cities area of less that two million -- this is a phenomenal!    Add
to that two full time orchestras, the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and the
Minnesota Orchestra; and the classics are alive and well.   Darned if I
will ever get used to the name, "Minnesota Orchestra," though.   I favor
the old "Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.":) But the caliber of professional
musicianship is still high, whichever the name!   And they don't have to
play in Northrop Auditorium anymore.:) Best,

Jim Stokes