From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:11:49 +0200
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> wrote in reply to Mr. Mullenger:

>I have never heard a note of John Veale's music and in fact I hever heard
>of him before reading the review.  I have no opinions about his violin
>concerto, but I do find the review and the accompanying biographical note
>to be deplorable examples of the " raise the stature of A by trashing B "
>school of criticism.  In this case the role of B is taken by Britten and
>Elgar.  Britten, it turns out made many mistakes in writing his violin
>concerto (in contrast to Veale's perfect craftsmanship.) Elgar, it turns
>out, is guilty (along with Parry) of letting self pity into his music.
>As a long time admirer of Elgar I have detected a deep well of emotion in
>Elgar's large scale works, but my self pity meter registers a null reading.
>If Parry shares anything at all with Elgar, I had better start listening to
>Parry's music.

Now people can call it self-pity if they like, but I want to keep ol' Elgar
at least.  Thats what I wish, but I also think that Elgars place in music
history is secured already.  It has to times happened true, that A has
trashed B, like Bach replaced Telemann, but I strongly doubt this will be
the case with Elgar.  It is amireably perhaps to avoid tellign in the
individual case, but the trend will be taste develops back to
traditionalism.  Bet it.

Mats Norrman