From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:12:55 -0400
To take a short break from the rather high-level discussion of music and
language (which I am following with interest), I was wondering if anyone
would care to discuss a much more (perhaps embarassingly) rudimentary
issue.  In expanding my music collection lately (it's still pretty basic),
I have noticed that, listening to different performances of the same work,
I almost invariably prefer the one I heard first and am most familiar with.
The preference seems to persist even after repeated listenings of the
"newer" performance.  This sort of bothers me, as it seems to imply a kind
of conservative narrowmindedness that I didn't know I possessed.  It might
even be worse than having no preference whatsoever.  Has anyone else been
afflicted in this way? Any pointers on the kind of listening that might
open my ears a little more?

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA