From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:18:56 -0000
Eric Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> said:

>A friend asked me about the conductors of the Montreal Symphony before
>Dutoit, and I could only supply the names Pelletier and Mehta.  Does anyone
>know who the other music directors were of that orchestra, and the years of
>their tenure?

Wilfrid Pelletier 1935-41
Desire Defauw 1941-53
Otto Klemperer (conductor/advisor) from 1952
Charles Munch, Pierre Monteux, Thomas Schippers, Joseph Krips (regular
conductors in absence of an artistic director until 1957.
Igor Markevitch 1957-61
Zubin Mehta 1961-1967
Franz-Paul Decker 1967-1975
Rafael Fruehbeck de Burgos 1975-76
Charles Dutoit 1978-present

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca