From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:26:29 -0500
Let me make a remark or two about this classical music is dying business.
People take various points of view, but aside from an apocalyptic
suggestion or two which amounts to nuking the whole business and starting
over, nobody seems to want to DO anything.  It is not even clear that the
exponents of the "dying" point of view agree on what the words mean.

The poets have been much more active in promoting their art, which is
probably perceived as even more of a minority taste than classical music.
Consider the efforts of Haas, Pinsky, the late Joseph Brodsky.  I am not
aware of anything similar in the realm of classical music.  We need to drop
the "we happy few" attitude.

Bernard Chasan