From:
Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:03:48 -0500
What is dying is not classical music; it is the cultures (plural) that
produced and cherished it through centuries.  I, a senior (old) university
professor, recently overheard a student (by all current standards a very
good student) proclaim that he had never read a book cover-to-cover.  (He
was boasting about his achievements on minimum effort.) On another
occasion, I heard a young colleague, yes a colleague, say 'all classical
music sounds the same.' (I quote verbatim.) As I do not want to depress you
any more, let me turn to the optimistic side.  The death we speak of is,
like gangrene, not yet everywhere; it is slowly spreading across cultures
and political boundaries.  We cannot surgically remove the dead parts but,
with renewed energy, we can nourish the parts that are alive and well.  It
remains to be seen if there is enough energy and devotion.  With apologies
for this depressing note,

Peter Harzem