Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 16:46:53 -0500
Stirling Newberry:

>Rolland's lament is from the pre-recording era, when to live, it had to be
>incorporated, not by a few musicians, but by many.  Now, with the focus on
>dead sound coming out of speakers - it is possible for music to have this
>unlife if even a few musicians record it.

Dead sound? Unlife? Funny, this list is full with people who are quite
enthusiastic about that dead stuff.  Dr.  Akima's interesting recent
contributions on pre baroque music are examples.  Did we all get it wrong?
Should we all fall in line in support of the Stirling Doctrine? Or, to
paraphrase Richard Prior, Who are you going to believe; me, or your lying
ears?

Bernard Chasan