From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:29:24 -0800
John Smyth wrote:

>And if I had to reserve the word "ravishing" to describe only one piece
>and performance of music, I would use it to describe Couperin's "Lecons de
>tenebres" as performed by Rousett and his two sopranos, Veronique Gens and
>Sandrine Piau.  Those suspensions!  (It's like the greatest moments in
>Monterverdi--without all the annoying declamation.) Did I say that?

This is one of my own favorite pieces of all time.  (I imagine you like
Monteverdi's last aria in Coronation of Poppea too -- though it's said to
be actually written by Cavalli probably.)

The Lecons was sung in the background during the movie "Tous le matins du
monde" and the piece is on Savall's CD soundtrack from that movie, which
includes Coin.  One of the sopranos is his wife Montserrat Figueras.  If
you haven't seen that movie, I recommend it; just don't watch their gamba
fingering too closely:-)

Andrys in Berkeley
http://andrys.com/books.html#dvdexpr - Classical Music DVDs
http://andrys.com/coupons.html - Coupons, Sales