From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:46:30 -0500
    I also see Moms that are intent on having all the gadgets that they
can-is this because they had "security objects" as recommended by some
pediatric gurus when they were babies? I guess they feel they need all this
magical stuff to help them succeed at breastfeeding.
Anyway,  the pillow- the rounded one with the cute name is the most popular
around here.  I tell Moms it is not enough support, and suggest that they
get some wide grosgrain ribbon and pin it with big pins to the pillow (so
they don't even have to sew) so they can wear it like an apron.  At least
this way the baby doesn't end up between Mom and the pillow with Mom hunched
over the baby.  Also it makes the point to the moms that the pillow alone
won't guarantee good positioning. I do have one of the firmer pillows that
velcros around the waist to use with Moms who come back to the hospital for
help, and it can be beneficial.  It is adjustable, in that it can be placed
well above the waist to bring the baby up higher.  I still use folded baby
blankets or whatever to get support under Mom's wrist-esp if she has/had
carpal tunnel syndrome.

     Oh, one positive note about all the stuff- I've had Moms who were
having problems say they weren't about to give up-they had spent too much on
all the breastfeeding pillows, pumps, speciality clothes, etc.! and these
were not the kind of women that I expected to tough out any problems! The
economics of breastfeeding! Personally I was so happy to have my own washer
and dryer and a front carrier that my LLLLeader made for me, I didn't need
anything else in terms of gadgets.
Sincerely, Diana Roberts