HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:31:49 -0500
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< i think we're going cross-purposes here - it's almost like you're turning
your
 stuff into treasures by putting it all in context and telling the story of
how
 the stuff was found, what it means, etc. - i'm talking about just putting a
 dirty old pot up on a pedestal (or in a display case), shining a spotlight
on it
 and then wondering why it doesn't draw the same audiences as king tut...
these
 things can be "treasured" if someone does the hard work of telling it
properly -
 but just calling it a "treasure" ain't necessarily going to make people
believe
 (something about the emperor's new clothes, eh?)

Caro and Geoff,

I suppose it depends on who your audience is, where you are displaying, and
what your personal skills in the "Barnum & Bailey Department" (circus
showpersonship) when it comes to making a rusty latrine pot interesting. I
once read an article on "Mysteries in History" in which the designer blew up
a huge black & white photograph of a really dismal alley in New York that
showed a rusty old tricycle amongst rubbish. To the right of the photo was a
contemporary shot of the empty alley and the remainder of the room had state
of the art displays of objects found in the alley. The exhibit targeted
elementary school children, but also captivated adults. The tricycle became
the focus of an important social history lesson. When the visitors actually
saw the rusty tricycle parts on exhibit, it was like looking at a piece of
gold.

The point here is that with the right talent, training, skills and knowledge
of the audience we could sell refridgerators to Eskimos.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.