HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:30:59 -0500
Party sites, end-of-road dumps, and deer stands may seem
disorganized, but I have noted that they do appear to have sufficient
internal structure to define "activity" areas and site boundaries,
essential to National Register eligibility here in the U S.  I'm sure
the Australians have a similar requirement.

As for deer stands, they are an excellent place to look for
"arryheds" in these parts.  I have long suspected that deer stands
are among the longest-occupied sites in this area.  Time after time,
I have tested near a deer stand and found a prehistoric "lithic
scatter" in the same location. The moral of this story is that the
deer didn't change their habits, and neither did the hunters, over
thousands of years.

We were away from a site for a few days and came back to find an
empty glassware case. Someone had brought 24 glass tumblers to the
site and had left only the case they came in, and uncounted fresh
condoms.  This was an abandoned farmstead, where the house had burned
a few years ago. Before and after the house was burned by vandals,
the property had been a place of assignation and congregation for
those seeking therapy for glandular overload.  In spite of the
owners' efforts to block the roads, naughty youngsters had been
finding a way into the property for about thirty years.  Of course,
being an elder, I have no personal knowledge of such activities. We
were able to distinguish between the occupation and post-occupation
activities, but unfortunately we didn't keep a record.

Yes, these known sites need to be explored archaeologically, and I'm
delighted to learn that someone else is doing it.
--
* It is now vital to emphasize the           *
* importance of teaching your child to       *