Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:47:24 EST
As I have gone around the country training folks in the 3-Step Counseling
Strategy, the topic of alcohol 'advice' always comes up.  Best Start, in
their Loving Support research, found that lifestyle issues are very high on
the list of barriers to breastfeeding.  A common belief among WIC
participants, WIC staff, and families of WIC babies is that there is no
alcohol allowed during breastfeeding.  I have heard more than a few
breastfeeding counselors tell mothers that they have to follow 'all the same
rules' they did while they were pregnant.  This implies a lot of restrictions
that are not necessary.  The common response from counselors to my more
relaxed approach to the alcohol issue is that is that low-income mothers will
abuse alcohol if given permission to drink any at all.

This same attitude prevails in other lifestyle issues, diet, alcohol, smoking
and as we all know prescription drugs.  I don't know how effective I am in
this area with the professionals that I reach.  I know that when I talk to
mothers about the limitations of alcohol intake they express a relief that
those limitations are so reasonable.  I've counseled mothers who are
contemplating weaning so they can have a glass of champagne at a wedding or
anniversary.  This is so damaging to our goal of making breastfeeding normal
in the US.

Let's resolve to loosen up here and give the mother accurate information and
let her make decisions....they do anyway!

Linda J. Inglis, BS, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coordinator
Best Start Social Marketing
Tampa, FL