From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:15:57 -0300
I've bought recently a 2Cd set (Double Decca 452 262-2) containing
Berlioz's Requiem (Maazel/Cleveland), the Chants pour Choeur (Norrington)
and the Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale (Dutoit/Montreal).  I confess that
I indulge myself in temptation due to the low price of the set.  After
hearing it, I can say only this:  I like Maazel and I have the highest
respect for him as conductor, but I definitely don't like this version.
It's fluffy.  The Dies Irae is disappointing (the famous 4 brass orchestras
passage simply goes on without any particular emphasis).  The Lacrymosa
seems a Strauss waltz.  The soloist tenor at the Sanctus was assaulted by
a violent influenza the day of the recording.  Resuming:  I miss my old
recording by Robert Shaw and Atlanta!!!!!!  Concerning the "Symphonie",
my prejudices against Dutoit were confirmed:  they are just prejudices.

Any comments on this version?

Pablo Massa