From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:36:11 -0500
John Smyth  wrote:

>Speaking of what was available used, I FINALLY found Biber's Mystery
>Sonatas w/Holloway!  Been looking for that one for a year.  I don't hear
>the man vs.  instrument antagonism I hear in his performance of the Bach
>Violin Sonatas; his musicianship really comes through in the Biber.  And
>the notes on Biber's alternative string tunings are fascinating.  Look
>for this one--very imaginative, picturesque, touching and quirky.

I'm definitely envious, and hoping that a used copy will turn up my way
sometime.  Or even better, a reissue? Holloway's Mystery Sonatas have been
widely praised, and I'd love to hear them.

In the meantime, I'm consoling myself with a newer Holloway disk,
called "Intrada di Polcinelli", which features some violin sonatas newly
attributed to Johann Schmelzer (1620-1680), as well as sonatas by Muffat
and others, all discovered in the Archbishopric archives in Kromeriz (sorry
I can't put all the proper accent marks above the letters in that town's
name).  Some quirky stuff that's quite typical of the 17th century
Austrian/Bohemian style (of which Biber is the most famous practitioner).
The album's title comes from a Balletto suite for "The Fool's Home", and a
there's a bit of scordatura fireworks in the other sonatas, all neatly
played by Holloway.  The support group includes Barbara Maria Willi
(keyboards), Jaap ter Linden on viol, and Nigel North on theorbo, so you
know it's good.....  Musicaphon M 56832.

Bill H.