From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:49:35 -0500
At dinner the other night a dear friend of ours stunned me with the
revelation that she is starting to be intrigued by classical music, and
wants to know more.  As her husband squirmed, she confessed that she had
been listening to some classical through earphones at the Borders listening
station.  (He squirmed because both have traditionally listened more to
folk music and gentle jazz and rock.)

Of course I was excited and immediately started playing selections for her.
I rummaged my shelves and came up with a couple of pretty elementary
books--and I promised to seek advice from the list!

As we've seen with others, she feels overwhelmed by the choices out there.
She noted that she is drawn to Bach; but was shocked at how varied Bach's
output is.  Also expressed some affection for Vivaldi.  (Oh for a pair of
fresh, innocent ears with which to discover once again the wonders of the
Baroque!)

Fortunately, my wife stopped me short of totally embarrassing myself and
overwhelming our friend with "homework." (Her husband's only comment to
me was, "I love your passion.") The more I thought about it, the more I
thought that for a newcomer it is most important to listen to what they
like and not worry about what they *should* be listening to.  Also, I
think they should focus on learning *how* to listen (which can make them
appreciate all genres of music more and come to value "good" music more
than junk.)

Picking up from Copland I'd suggest that the following are things a
beginner can listen for:

1.  Texture.  I was impressed at my friend's ability to pick out
instruments and encouraged it.  Is the music thick or lean? Which
instruments predominate?

2.  Melody.  Is there a "hummable" tune? Or something that seems to recur
periodically during the piece?

3.  Tone.  Is it bright or dark.  Sweet or sour?

4.  Line.  Is the music "smooth" or "jagged?"

5.  Harmony.  Is there an underlying bass line that you can hear? Can you
temporarily ignore the melody and listen to the accompaniment?

6.  Rhythm.  Does it make you tap your feet? Can you count it out in 3's or
in 4's? Does it change in the middle?

I think its best not to get into structure too soon, though my friend could
easily hear the fugal entrances in the WTC.  I think the place to start
would be by letting her hear the difference between symphonic, concerto and
chamber music.

As for history, my feeling is that one becomes interested in it through the
social context of various pieces of interest rather than by studying it in
a systematic way.  To demystify and humanize composers, I shared the common
example of Beethoven imitating his digestive troubles in Symphony 2.

Any way, I wonder how others would approach this opportunity to open a good
friend's ears to something that could greatly enrich her life.  I don't
want to come across as pedantic or judgemental.  And I certainly don't want
to alienate her husband!

Mostly I am just admiring the sight of a person standing on the edge of
this wonderful world full of so much potential.  Any advice is greatly
appreciated.

Ed