From:
Rick Huntze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:34:20 -0600
----------
From: "Rick Huntze" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LLL/LC roles
Date: Fri, Nov 10, 2000, 12:15 AM

I have never felt *undervalued* until I read some of the posts from RN's.
As a mother of three ecologically breastfed children, a LLLL, and an IBCLC,
(with a BSE),  I can attest that many different skills come into play, and
in a non-hospital setting, nursing is not one of them.  One skill that I
haven't heard discussed much  is the art of *listening*.  Often I feel that
one of our most important roles can be paralleled with that of a
psychologist!  We can help a mother best when we first listen to what she
has to say.  I use my hands as a tool of last resort,  making sure that when
I do use them, it is competently and appropriately.  I also ask her
permission to touch her or her baby, and explain what I am going to do
before I do it.  (I proudly realize that this is the LLLL in me speaking.)

As the immediate postpartum days are so crucial to  initiating
breastfeeding, I have much respect for the hospital LC, most of which have
too little time with moms and babies.  I am posting this message mainly as a
reminder that there is much more to our roles, in whatever setting, than
most people realize.  I feel that I have gained most of my knowledge and
experience through years *in the field*, nursing my own children, working
with mothers at various stages of lactation.  LLLL
 experience is invaluable, as it allows an LC to experience the full
spectrum of breastfeeding.  Aspiring LCs, please don't get discouraged
because you are not a nurse!  LLL can be one of your most valuable assets!

Thanks for listening!
Lisa Huntze, La Leche League Leader for 9 1/2 years, IBCLC for almost 4
under a freeze warning in Texas