From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:16:04 -0500

>Lee Conte ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>I don't know what's been reissued recently, but if you want a complete
>>Rubinstein experience, check out his Chopin as well.  IMO, while
>>Rubinstein's execution is almost always perfected controlled and
>>beautifully crafted, I often find his interpretation a bit superficial.

>and Deryk Barker responded:

>I don't much care for his RCA stereo remakes, but the 1930s Chopin on
>EMI is entirely another matter.

I find the RCA Rubinstein/Chopin very precise, but lacking.  Nevertheless he
has quite a reputation in this music.

It's been too long for me to remember the specifics, but this reminds me of
a comment I read or heard in the 60's.  Rubinstein, late in his life, gave a
pension fund concert with Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony.   It was during
a discussion of his impressive performance, despite the pianists advanced
years, that comments were made of a 'rejuvenated' player.  The opinion was
given that the 'ends' of Rubinstein's career were the most impressive.

Sorry to be so vague, but I have always remember this comment when I hear
some of his recordings, especially the RCA Chopin.  I'll look forward to an
opportunity to hear the 30's version.

Regards,

Tom Connor