From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:11:54 -0600
I would add to Karl Miller's list a delightful pastiche called 'Mozart
New Look'.  And as far as I can tell no one has pointed out Francaix's use
of pastiche in quite a few of his pieces.  It's all of a piece with his
lighthearted manner.  For a time Wergo, a German label usually dedicated
to thorny new music, seemed to be putting out a new Francaix chamber music
disc every few months, many of them with Francaix on piano.  Alas, I don't
find any of them listed at amazon.com or broinc.com

He also wrote a quite serious religious cantata, L'Apocalypse selon St.
Jean, which he felt to be his masterpiece.  I find it somewhat boring.  But
maybe that's because I so much prefer his lighthearted music.  (Shades of
Sir Arthur Sullivan who longeed to be taken serious for his concert music
but who is beloved and remembered for his light music.)

Another composer with a similar smiling profile is the Dane, Knudige
Riisager.

Scott Morrison