From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:24:45 -0500
I like Richard Dyer of the Boston Globe. He has wide musical sympathies,
and is completely undoctrinaire on Twentieth Century music- he likes
the Barber Violin Concerto AND the Berg Violin Concerto. He is also
very supportive of good local performers and groups. His occasional cd
recommendations are always interesting - he made me aware- about 20 years
ago, of Zemlinsky's Lyric Symphony- as he made me aware of Shirai and
Hoell.

I also like Alec Ross of the New Yorker, and Anthony Tommasini and Paul
Griffiths of the NYT. I don't always agree with them, and I think that
there is a tendency  on their part to hail the latest wunderkind as the
greatest composer since Apollo- but they are enthusiastic and interesting,
and they love music.

I have never liked the other Times critics very much, not because I don't
trust them, but because they seem rather jaded, and don't really seem that
enthusiastic about music.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University