From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:10:43 -0500
On the Mahler-List we've been talking about Jascha Horenstein's Mahler
9 on Vox CDX2 5509.  Actually, we've been talking about the coupling,
Horenstein's Kindertotenlieder from 1955, with bass-baritone Norman Foster.
One lister pointed out that Foster is the singer on another disc close to
Mahlerians' hearts, the Gesellen cycle that accompanies Horenstein's Mahler
1, also on Vox (there's no coupling on the Unicorn incarnation).  The
booklet on the Vox Mahler 9 says not a word about Foster.

Any information out there on Mr. Foster? Specifically, does anybody know
how he came to be selected as the soloist for these cycles?

Mitch Friedfeld