From:
Alex Renwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:28:27 -0400
My big beef with music critics [of live concerts I've attended] is
that they concentrate most of their reviews on one item on the programme,
usually the visiting soloist, if there is one.  If a critic is going to
criticize, I wish he would give reasonably balanced criticisms of all the
pieces on one programme.

If fairness to them, there was a great movement, in Canada at least, of
newspapers publishing only one edition - in the morning.  This confronted
the poor critic with an almost impossible deadline to meet, so the review
could appear in the next morning's edition.

Personally, I would wait a day and read a full review of the concert the
night before last, after the critic has had time to reflect on the event.

Sincerely,

Alex Renwick,
Ottawa, Canada