From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:51:52 -0600
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Avoid at all cost the abysmal Harnoncourt recordings--apart from the voice
>of Kurt Equiluz they have little to recommend themselves.

Aaron is an astue musician, but I must point out here that he too readily
dismissesthe Leonhardt/Harnoncourt series.  Yes, the singing, especially
by the boys is a little irritating, but, if you can find these in their
lp incarnations, you will discover that the liner notes are an invaluable
resource of information.  They also contain the complete score of each
cantata presented in the volume and tons of analysis and information.
It is worth the money for the books alone.  As for the performances,
the choral singing is not all that offensive!

KevinS