Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:25:59 -0800
From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Derek, on the burning controversy of the plural of Naxos

>Also, that's a Latin plural, whereas the island of Naxos is Greek.  If
>Naxos is masculine the plural would be Naxoi, if it's neuter the plural
>would be Naxa (IIRC, my Greek is pretty ancient).

I can pull rank here:  my full sig file lists me as Chair and Associate
Professor of Classics.  I'd suggest turning Naxos into an adjective (since
we're talking about a label designating a recording).  We'll then take the
neuter plural (on the grounds that the closest one gets to recordings in
ancient Greek are books, biblia), and, drum roll please, the result is
Naxia.

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA 19122

 [Naxen, I tell you, Naxen.  If anyone's going to pull rank here...  :-)
 -Dave]